Sunday, August 14, 2005

You're Gonna Need A RSS Reader

I spend time everyday reviewing about 55 blogs. Some of these blogs are technical stuff, some are business related, and some are food related (yes I love to cook!). Not every blog is updated daily and some of the technical or business blogs are updated several times per day (Tom Peters is crazy, sometimes 6 or 8 updates in one day!) It would be a time consuming nightmare to try to keep up with all of this. Enter the RSS Reader. RSS (Real Simple syndication or one of 3 other definitions) Readers act like little robots constantly monitoring my increasing number of blogs and websites that I visit regularly. If new content is posted to any one of these, my RSS Reader picks it up. I don't have to go hunting for the latest scoops!

There are several types of RSS Readers, stand alone readers and Outlook integrated Readers are the most common. I use both types, I have a stand alone reader (FeedDemon Feedburner)at home and an Outlook Integrated Reader (Newsgator) at the office. Internet Explorer 7 expected later this year is rumored to include an RSS Reader also (I read that on one of the Microsoft Blogs).

Many websites and most Blogs (Including all of mine) have RSS feeds. If you find that keeping up with certain blogs or websites for your business or personal life is useful, you really should look at installing some type of RSS Reader. At the very least you will then be among the first on the block to know when I have posted the next SSGI Tip here!

No comments: