Monday, November 28, 2005

Using OneNote For Research

My favorite Microsoft application after Outlook is OneNote. It's simply the best application that has come out of Redmond in a long time. I use it for everything. One of the coolest things you can do with OneNote is pull information from the Internet directly into your OneNote notebook pages.

This is very easy to do. First, go to the web page that you want to use the information from. Next select a graphic or some text from the page. Once the object is selected, right click and select copy. Now open the OneNote page that you want to gather this information in. Right click in the page and select paste. The graphic or text will be pasted directly into the page. In addition, a link back to the web page will be included. Of course you can also use drag and drop to accomplish the same task if you would like.

I use this all the time. I have a page in my Notebook labeled Things to Checkout. Whenever I come across anything on the Internet that I want to spend more time checking out but don't have time at the moment, I post a piece of the article on the page and later, when I have more time I can simply go to the Things to Checkout page and get back to where I was. Of course I can add my own notes as well.

No comments: